Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sticker Shock

As we are now on an official countdown until we move to Atlanta, I decided to start looking at daycare options for Violet. I'd like to get her on a waiting list as soon as possible, in the hope that I will get a school library position in August. Now, I know we live in a very low cost of living area, and I know our daycare expenses here are cheap. I just didn't realize how much of a deal we were getting until I looked at Atlanta prices.

What we pay now:

$190 per week for both Violet and Ruby at a licensed daycare center. Includes breakfast, lunch and snacks. They are there from 7:30 am - 5:00 pm every day

$40 per week for after school care for Cy. Includes a snack. He is there from 3:00 - 4:45 pm most days (1:00 - 4:45 pm on Wednesdays)

What we will pay after the Big Move:

(At least) $185 per week for Violet at a licensed daycare center.

$65 per week each for after school care for Cy and Ruby

Now, I'm no math whiz, but by my calculations, we will be paying around $4000 more in daycare expenses each year even though we will only have one child in full time daycare as opposed to two.

Ouch.

Luckily, my income should easily cover these expenses (and my student loan payments) and we'll even have some left over each month, but it still hurts. That money could almost pay for a trip back home to England. Maybe it's time for me to figure out if we have anything we can sell. I need a London fix!

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, that is the way things are moving from a relatively rural area to a very big urban area. But you will make things work out and if you don't get that school librarian job you'd love to have, you can be a homemaker and that will work too for a while. I hope only the best for you!

    ReplyDelete